Posted to rec.woodworking
Fredd Wright Fredd Wright is offline

Default looking for a decent plywood for a crawlspace "floor"

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 9:00:08 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 3:01:51 PM UTC-7, Fredd Wright wrote:
I have a crawlspace in the basement that has a dirt floor right now. I'd like to lay some sheets of 4x8 plywood (or other material) on it to make a surface suitable for crawling on or putting things on.

For crawling, a few planks of 1/2" plywood (exterior) would be useful.
For storage, consider that you'd like ventilation around the stored
items; I'd try some old pallets, with optional 'wood preservative' painted on
(they won't weather, so stain or real paint are a waste).
I'm lazy, I just strap on some knee pads and a hard hat when it's time to crawl.

Good ideas here. I have to admit that when i first posted, i wasn't thinking about the termite angle. I like the idea of the concrete but i have a feeling i'd make a mess of it as i don't know what i'm doing. However, the paver idea sounds interesting. I priced it and the pavers cost the same per square foot as 3/4" plywood and they would last indefinitely. However, that's also something i've never done. Do i just level the ground and lay the pavers on top letting gravity keep them in place or is there something else i need to do to secure them?