Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

Mr Macaw wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Mr Macaw wrote
whisky-dave wrote

What is it going to cost to fill up with electricity ?
Simple question.
Or how much per kw

**** all compared to overly taxed petrol.

So why tax it, if it's that cheap it'd cost mor eto collect the tax that
you get.

Because they're stupid. We should abolish all taxes and just put it in
one single place - income tax.

Not a viable approach, essentially because it is trivially
easy for some to show no income at all and so pay no tax.

With the consumption taxes they can't avoid those.

Its much easier for the stinking rich to avoid
showing any income and so politically impossible
to sell just taxing income and nothing else.

WAY less paperwork.

That is very arguable when you want to
make it hard to claim you have no income.

so, what will a car be called a non dometisc applience whicvh gets free
electricity paid for by the govenrment ?

It's paid for by me, at the same rate as my household electricity, just
not overly taxed like petrol. Petrol has 400% tax!

Well if it's paid by you someone has to work out how much you owe them.
Now if the company that supplies you with the electricity doesn't know
how much you're taking from them.... and if they do which is what I
suspect then the govenment will ask them.

They already do, everybody has an electric meter and pays 4% tax on what
they use.

Doesn't allow you to charge a different tax rate for some types of
electricity use.

What you havent explained is why the govenrment will choose to tax
electricity differntly for cars. They dont tax it differntly for kettle
TV, washing machine and storage raidators.

I don't think they will try,

They might if they lose most of the petrol and diesel tax revenue.

and they certainly won't manage to with me.

Trivial to ensure that you can't avoid it, just like
they do to ensure you don't get free electricity.

can you tell me who's going to pay for the elecicity used to drive UK
cars.

Their owners.

exactly so why all, this woryy about how will the govenment tax these
owners.

People are concerned that the tax on car electricity will shoot up so we
pay just as much as we do now for petrol. And changing to electric cars
will all have been for nothing.

Not if you can charge them with your own solar panels etc.