Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default brass vs bronze for making a punch

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 09:06:12 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 8:49:03 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

Anyway, the point is that no one here is old enough to remember the
use of "mil" for thousandths of an inch, but some of us who were
deeply involved in metalworking history have seen it used a lot in the
deep past.

--
Ed Huntress

Sorry about that, but I and Cydrome Leader both remember mil as being the same as a thousandth. We are not all as young as you.

You know, I knew some old fart would pop up with that, as soon as I
wrote it. g

What I should have said is that it all but disappeared in *print*. It
migrated over to the sheet-material field, where it eventually became
concentrated in plastic materials. I wrote a few articles for _Modern
Plastics_ and _Plastics Technology_ (on moldmaking) in the '70s and
'80s, and I noted it was being used by them.

I've seen it used for sheet metals, too, but only very rarely.

--
Ed Huntress

Dan