Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Do battery chargers mostly suck, in your experience?

Ignoramus7945 fired this volley in
:

I have a lot of things, most of which have batteries, and therefore I
have a lot of battery chargers.

My experience with them has been generally negative. The worst are the
so called "smart" chargers.

The problem is that they are often the opposite of "smart". They go
crazy and stop charging for no reason, or worse, drain the batteries.
Additionally, they fail due to things such as cold weather or
whatever, things any decently made item should handle.

The chargers, at least for lead acid batteries, would really be better
off, if they simply tried to maintain 13.3 volts or some such.

My question is, is my experience unique and atypical, or have you also
had bad experience with battery chargers.

Thanks

Ig,
The problem with most consumer lead-acid battery chargers (and most of
the pro versions, too) are built on 30-to-40-year-old technology.

The 'smartest' consumer lead-acide smart-charger isn't nearly as
adaptable as the chargers on most kids' hand-held toys.

There are some smart 'maintenance' type chargers out there. But even
those are 10-year-old tech.

LLoyd