Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 22:50:23 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 21:53:50 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:45:01 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:23:54 +0100, whisky-dave

wrote:

On Monday, 11 April 2016 22:23:02 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:49:36 +0100, whisky-dave

wrote:

Then don't plug in 1 million mp3 players at the same time
then.
As this would be how a smartmeter could detect and know what
you
are
plugging in.
I do know someone that was writing an app for use with
smartmeters.

Easy enough to make your car charge unevenly to simulate other
things.

No it would't be in reality.
Sure you could just charge your car at 100ma the same as a torch,
for
few weeks, but no one would care would they.

But we use things like kettles, tumble driers, etc. So you just
make
the
car charge then stop then charge then stop, preferably at a
different
level each time.

Problem with that approach is that a normal 13A charger isnt
anything
like good enough for an electric car used to go to work and back
every
day, and playing silly buggers like that will only make that problem
worse.

Then use more than 13A. I can take 80A into my house right now (I
don't
have an electric car) without them asking me why.

IMO most wouldn't bother and would just pay the tax.

Then they're idiots, as a diesel would then cost the same (in fact
less
as there's no huge battery replacement cost).

Why do people have diesel driven cars as it;'s mnore expenive than
pertol
and has more harmful polutants

Because they get significantly better mpg and it ends up
cheaper to run and the engine is a lot more reliable too.

Right so all you have to do is find ways to make peolpe want electric cars

Not even possible, they have so many downsides.

and I don;t think teh govenemtn puttiung a huge tax
on them to replace teh tax they lose on pertol will work.

Corse it would work. Whether it makes sense
to do that is an entirely different issue.