geoff

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

In message , half_pint
writes

The 16:9 is becoming the new standard, like it or not. You are in a
changing world, you can dig your heels in, but you're not going to win
because it's a massive business whose primary interest is not what you
happen to find aesthetically pleasing, but what, economically , is going
to generate best profits.

And you are right but wrong.
I was considering buying a new main TV and two portables but all this
WS crap has put me off. So where is the profit in that?

You are (as I am ) totally insignificant in the big picture (so to
speak)

The poll tax was good for business but it died a death.
16:9 looks ok on a 4:3 but 4:3 on a 16:9 looks ****e.
Most of my viewing is still 4:3, the soaps (which I don't watch)
are in 16:9 but soap viewers will watch anything.

Never watched more than one episode of Coronation street 30 years ago -
but with an anterior motive

(Actually soaps look bad in 16:9 cos its mainly indoors so no
landscape shots, its mainly portrait type shots).
My footie is still 4:3 :O)

Football on TV is ****e whatever resolution you use

Digital TV will eventually take over from analogue and you can sit in
front of your old TV looking at snow if you want to - the constant, safe
secure world that you once knew is no more, get used to it

Don't under estimate the power of the masses, we may have no cake
to eat Marie Anttiornette(?).
It will be a brave polititian who says "Let them watch snow!!"

It will happen

I have noticed a lot of heavy pushing of 'new technology' by the BBC though.
It make me wonder who is controling the situation.
MAybe we will be required to have a portrait of the Governer General of
the BBC in every room?

We haven't gone digital yet and it will take a long time I expect.

I agree, but the format is changing, what ever your wishes might be

--
geoff