Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 02:48:59 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:08:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 21 April 2016 22:14:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 21 April 2016 12:36:24 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave scribeth thus
On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 19:06:04 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave scribeth thus
On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 14:25:53 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Oddly enough my 2 litre diesel Audi seems to perform much
the
same as
the former 2 litre petrol, and round this way diesel is
slightly
cheaper
than petrol at the moment!...

What about the original price of the car as it seems that
model for model diesel cars are more expensive than the
pertol
equiv.

Not that much different on the second-hand market it seems.

Then that should give you a clue.
diesel engines are more expensive to repair so less people want
2nd
hand
diesel
cars because of that which is why the price lower.

Think of it this way two identical cars, ones fuel is liquid
gold
the
other
is
****, which car would be cheapest to buy ?

A local Taxi firm runs its diesel cars up to around 400,000 miles
they
don't do that with Petrol ones don't know why?...

Then find out.

Can't really be arsed, I imagine its because there're cheaper to run
perhaps;...

http://www.whatcar.com/news/petrol-d...rk-costs-less/

Working out whether a diesel- or a petrol-powered car will
be cheaper to run over three years is a complicated business.

It isn't just about fuel economy. Depreciation is the biggest cost in
car
ownership, so you need check how much the car will be worth after
three
years.

Pretty stupid to be changing the car every 3 years
if you care about the cost of running the car.

If you're worried about the cost of running the car you
upgrade as often as needed even if it's once a week.

But the point is that given the massive drop in the
value of a car as you drive it out of the show room,
if you care about the cost of running a car, you
minimise the frequency of upgrades for that reason.

In theory you replace the car once the cost of repairs
starts to increase significantly, but in practice with
modern cars, that never happens even if you keep
them for 20 years now and you actually replace them
because they are starting to look a bit tatty etc.

I can't think of many 20 year old cars that weren't given up on due to
rust.

Then you need to get out more. Plenty in here alone have one.

Soggy island :-)

Maybe in drier climates like yours.

Companies cars are replaced at those sorts of intervals.

Just because with company cars it's important what they look like.

Doesn't always work.

Sure, nothing always works.

I meant can't that often work.

I once decided on which double glazing company to use by how much they
wasted on such things.

I do that with operations that advertise on local TV.

Doesn't mean that plenty don't advertise on local TV tho.

The big companies are sucked in by the ad agencies. I don't know anyone who buys what they saw on an advert. They go by friend's recommendations mainly.

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline Luggage. -- Mark Russell