James Sweet

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Well for two reasons one you might need to move it about a lot,
maybe a student or some other type who travels a lot.
Also you may not have a very large house, I would like a portable
in the kitchen and anything bigger than a portable would take
up too much room, ditto for the bedroom.
There must be a market for portable TV's (which you appear
to deny) because they make up about 30-50 percent of the TV
market .
Also not everyone wants to spend £280 on a TV when they can
get one for £69, but I guess you call paying 4 times what you used
to pay is 'progress', just like digital radio, where you can pay
10 times the price for a product which will not even work unless
you pay a futher £400 for an ariel the size of Jodrell Bank.

--
geoff

There's a plentiful supply of used 4:3 sets, and that will only get larger
as 16:9 gains popularity, so if anything you should be happy, supply will be
high, demand will be low, prices will be cheap. The 4:3 format will likely
remain popular for quite some time for portable sets, but 4:3 is virtually
dead for large projection sets even today, with no signs of that slowing
down. I rather like the trend, if I had my choice I'd go WS but I got my 50"
standard set for free, I'm sure after a few years I'll come across an even
nicer one as someone upgrades.