marco

Default Hitachi Hi8 camcorder tracking adjustment

I've got a Hitachi Hi8 camcorder model VM-H720A. I was trying to play a
tape recorded several years ago but it seems to plays like the tracking is
out of whack, i.e. static horizontal bars and no sound. I tried playing
this same tape on another Hi8 machine and it worked fine. Interesting, a
recent recording made on the Hitachi camcorder does playback OK. Seems to
me that maybe the tracking has shifted adjustment somewhere along the line
and it now can't track the earlier recording properly.

Can anyone comment whether this diagnosis makes sense or whether there is a
simple way to make a tracking adjustment to get the older tape to play.
Unfortunately I don't have a service manual for this machine so any
pointers on how to make the adjustment would be greately appreciated.

Paul