Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default shop smiths

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:51:41 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:32:00 -0700
Mac Davis wrote:

I'm on my 2nd one, this one since 1980...
Great when I was living in an apartment and didn't have room for a
shop...
Learned to turn on it, as well as other woodworking skills...

It's set up now as a drill press and is the best I've ever used...

did you ever have it setup as mentioned by the other poster for sanding

i have my drill press setup like a spindle sander but a combo sander
that has a belt and disc would be good and shopsmith usually are priced
low

i will have to keep my eyes open for one with the sanding extras

I used to have it set up as a horizontal drill press, with the 12"
sanding disk on the rear spindle...
Changed to vertical for better centering of my pen blank vise,
later...

I also use it for heavy routing...