Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] avagadro7@gmail.com is offline

Default Weller gun tips

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 2:32:40 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
wrote:

well, bought a 140/100 watt gun and tips. The standard tips fell apart at the tip. As if the tips were soldered together. Very funny HaHa.

The tips have to be properly tinned, and you want to avoid any flux
getting into the back side of the bend. If you let it get in there, it
will dissolve the copper, and cause the tip to open.

My homemade tips lasted a long time, since I tinned them in a solder
pot, instead of in the iron. I always had suitable scrap copper wire or
brass rod to make tips from.

I also made my own solder wick when I was repairing piles of Commodore
64 computers. I bought a surplus 1000 foot reel of 1/8" tinned copper
braid, and a bottle of Kester 1544 flux. A simple jig allowed me to fang
five foot pieces, and apply a few drops of liquid flux at a time, till
it was saturated. Let dry, and use.

---

OK will bear down on the tinning..... and research wick/fang.

on lighting...the standard Ford system is excrebale for over the road. The design is delivery truck where lamps are 'protected' during day time delivery or service use age.

extra lamps are usually accoutrement to Mitty/ego/unfulfilled intent/style/macho PR .......

however there are sprinkled into that mix a squad of off roaders who use the vehicle$ as off road bashemup pseudo racing toys. needing lights.

I'm involved with animal behavior research often in the desert. The current use was traveling across the St Johns River plain from Florida's hi country to Daytona. The plain is mainly dark state forest with deer and bear commuters. In facto the highway is named the BEAR HIGHWAY...bears are taking a beating.

We cannot control lighting users disregard for oncoming traffic. Nor adjustments: my lights are aimed at the ground or berm. You may see a bright twinkle in the distance but then the twinkle disappears.

BTW, a WOLO motorcycle compressed air double horn fits under the front hood lip slipping down between rad n grille when hood closes. WOLO's higher tone added to the FORD belch has fixed deer/elk/rabbits/armadillo to roadside. They stay on the berm watching me pass.

Most aware deer country truck people are mounting grille deer guards.

anyone know where the yellow green wire is on the blunt cut customer access ?

inside the female connector ?