Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller gun tips

wrote:

well, bought a 140/100 watt gun and tips. The standard tips fell apart at the tip. As if the tips were soldered together. Very funny HaHa.

The tips have to be properly tinned, and you want to avoid any flux
getting into the back side of the bend. If you let it get in there, it
will dissolve the copper, and cause the tip to open.

My homemade tips lasted a long time, since I tinned them in a solder
pot, instead of in the iron. I always had suitable scrap copper wire or
brass rod to make tips from.

I also made my own solder wick when I was repairing piles of Commodore
64 computers. I bought a surplus 1000 foot reel of 1/8" tinned copper
braid, and a bottle of Kester 1544 flux. A simple jig allowed me to fang
five foot pieces, and apply a few drops of liquid flux at a time, till
it was saturated. Let dry, and use.

---