Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why is it?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:36:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 4/17/2016 9:29 PM, wrote:

Today I was running .030 silicon bronze. Besides the silicon bronze,
I have and run .030 4043 and 5356 aluminum, .023 and .030 70S2 steel,
.035 flux core hardfacing , and .025 304 and 309 SS wires. Using my
little Lincoln SP 125Plus. Great little machine. I love it.
Eric

I have that machine & love mine.

Do you have a spool gun for aluminum? I've heard that it's almost
impossible to use without one. And I suppose that you have a variety of
gases for the different wires.

Do you change wires often? It's such a PITA for me that I'd almost
rather haul my gas tank to a remote job than switch to flux core & then
back.

Bob

I use a different whip for aluminum. Instead of changing liners cause
it's such a hassle. I do use different gasses and even made a mixing
manifold that works well. I have found that I can run the softer 4043
aluminum wire with little problem. In fact, I did a job recently where
I could see, with my new helmet, the aluminum wire vaporizing in the
arc and depositing on the part. The trick for aluminum wire is the
plastic liner in the whip, keeping the whip as straight as possible,
and adjusting the drive roll pressure such that it barely drives the
wire. That way if the wire stops moving in the whip it won't bird's
nest inside the machine. And I really don't mind changing wires so
much. I have done it enough that I have apparently found a method that
works well because I can change wire and contact tip in just a few
minutes. I made new, large, thumb screws for weld cables, ones that I
can grab easily with my Welper pliers, so that changing polarity is
easy too.
Eric