Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default water pipe vs DOM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:35:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:01:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've got a project where i need over a hundred feet of 1.38 ID by
1.625 OD DOM tubing.

Turns out this is almost exactly the same size as 1 1/4 water pipe,
MUCH less expenisve.

Need to do a lot of machining and some bending of a small tab. Will
water pipe work as well?

I'd seen the term "DOM" mentioned a few times recently, and finally
decided to find out what it was. Here are some of the sites I visited
in my research which might be of interest to you, Karl.

http://tubular.arcelormittal.com/ima...l_DOMSpecs.pdf

https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...s-D-O-M-tubing

http://metalsupermarkets.com/blog/di...seamless-tube/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buu3Ytubp1s

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...tubing.286487/

http://products.anssteel.com/item/st...un-1-1-4-2272?
http://products.anssteel.com/item/steel-pipes/galvanized-standard-steel-pipe/g-1-1-4-2272?&bc=100|1002|1016|1047|1049

http://www.industrialgroupco.com/ass...ifications.pdf

Pipe seems to be made from a mutt steel; whatever they find. If I
were making a simple bench or something for intermittent use or of a
light-duty nature, I'd use pipe, the cheapest.

If I wanted a chassis for a vehicle of some sort, I'd definitely want
to go with DOM. It has a much higher safety factor. 1020 seems to be
the standard the 4-wheelers use.

I'd also avoid 4130. Chromoly is nice, but is way too expensive and
too finicky for proper welds.

Strange. I remember certifying on 4130 tubing "way back when". They
used to use it to build aircraft and for many other things.

It was also used to build frames for racing cars and motorcycles where
light weights were important.
--

Cheers,

John B.