Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Cat proofing a stereo

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:09:24 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:42:29 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 16:09:34 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 02:15:52 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

snip

Cats **** in flower beds and fertilise them,

I don't have a flower bed. I had a veg patch and do have gravel round
my outbuildings and that's often covered in other peoples pets faeces.

Your vegetables grow better with manure.

Yes, proper (vegetarian - horse) manure not cat sh1t that may contain
Toxocara.

snip

Cheers, T i m

You might enjoy this. Or not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...m-8102860.html

'Or not'. ;-)

The thing is (as I said elsewhere) all animals poop it just becomes an
issue 'where' in some cases and the potential consequences of that
when they do.

I can understand that but it's not easy to deal with.

No, true, other than by not choosing say a cat as a pet in the first
place. Just as you wouldn't say choose a breed of dog that looks like
a 'dangerous breed' or one prone to some medical weakness or
condition.

Dogs and cats are quite diffenrt dogds have been brought up to live amihnst humans for a lot longer than cats have.

I'm not sure what the timelines are but you are probably right.

Dogs tend to do what their owners want, cats do what they want.

Yes, so if I wanted something that wasn't going to be a benefit or
asset to me then I too could choose a cat (or budgie or goldfish) for
a pet. However, I prefer something that I can take out with me,
something that get's me outdoors and some fresh air and exercise and
at the same time actually want to be with me and have some fun (like
retrieving a ball or racing etc). I'm not saying that a more 'indoor'
pet isn't good or even better than a dog for anyone else (and there
are many instances where a dog is far from the best solution of
course) and as a kid I've kept tropical fish, Guinea pigs and a rabbit
but none of them compared with a dog as a 'companion'.

You want that, I want something that's maintenance free, so I choose a cat.

And that's the thing ... when you have to suffer from something that
isn't your choice, like other peoples animals dumping on your property
and especially when they demonstrate they CGAF, that's when things can
go bad.

I agree but a faur few peole have cats becuse they keep teh mice away, I often wonder what that would be like if there were a cat ban.

I don't think we (in general and certainly not in urban environments)
would be overrun with rats or mice and I think you would need far more
cats than are realistic to actually control the vermin population
effectively, even on a farm.

Before I had cats, my next door neighbour was paying an exterminator twice a year.

So, like with most things that get enough people down, legislation
steps in on behalf of an innocent minority. All dogs now have to be
chipped because of the actions of what is probably a tiny minority.

I have my cat chipped not because of any law but in case it gets lost and theplan was to use a chipped cat flap.

And good for you for doing so (whatever the reason) ... you are at
least demonstrating some responsibility towards the cat. ;-)

What gives you the right to say we should control the cats? Why do you own your garden and not a cat? You have an overinflated ego.

And I'm all for that, along with storing the animals DNA on the same
file so when the owners allow them to do anything that impacts another
person, they (the owners) can be traced and dealt with.

I feel the same way about people especially kids.

('Some kids' ...) Quite ... but that is a different topic. ;-)

Ah but in modern society apparently the parent doesn't own the kid anymore. They don't have rights to bring them up how they wish, so why should they be held responsible? It's the state that owns the kids now. If I have kids and can't beat them senseless when they misbehave, I'm not responsible when they have no ****ing discipline. The state chose to treat them with cotton wool, the state can deal with it.

The same
*should* apply to cats and hopefully will one day as I believe 'most
people' consider cat fouling on their own property (when they don't
own a cat) to be unacceptable.

I find the polution put out by other peoples cars unacceptable

Again, agreed and I'm lucky in that I've never had to commute any
distance or regularly by car and still only use the car when
necessary.

I think vehicle pollution is one of those things that is 'transparent
to most of us (apart from the smog of old days in London and still in
some big cities around the world). I think they should put some (non
toxic) chemical that makes bright smoke (al-la Red Arrows) in car
fuel for just one day and it might make people realise just how much
'stuff' is produced by them just driving to the shops (when they could
probably do so on foot).

Pollution doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, stop living in an overcrowded city. You chose to live there.

--
Women are like dog ****, the older they get the easier they are to pick up.