Andy Hall

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:02:56 -0000, "Fraser" wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message
Where we are located, we are under similar law to that of the UK. The
warranty has to comply to the purchase agreement contract. TV's without

an
extended warranty are sold with a one year contract. You can optionally
purchase more time.

If the tube goes one day after the warranty, the manufacture is legally

not
obliged to change it, or service the set.

Things are very different in the UK for this then, we get 6 years provided
the fault isn't "normal wear and tear" apparently.

Be careful here. The 6 year period is a statute of limitations which
in effect lets the retailer off the hook at the end of that time.
It doesn't mean that they *have* to fix problems with *any* product
for that whole period.

In effect, the manufacturer's warranty period means that problems that
occur during the warranty period should be fixed without your having
to negotiate the issue. Between the end of that and 6 years you
*may* have a case, depending on the product, its position in the
market and what it cost. The issue then comes to whether the
retailer wants to play ball - this may well not be a store manager
decision - and how far you then want to pursue the issue.

Ultimately, you can take it to the court where you may win something.
Before embarking on that course, I would certainly talk to Trading
Standards for an opinion on what you are likely to get. One factor in
this is whether you are prepared to invest the effort required and
wait the amount of time that it will take to get a hearing.

You mentioned that the there had always been a green caste over the
picture. This could well have been a manufacturing defect which was
a precursor to the catastrophic failure that has happened now.
Arguably, you should have reported that at the outset, but it's too
late for that now.

There is new legislation as a result of an EU Directive which puts the
onus on the retailer to prove that there was not a manufacturing
defect. However, IIRC, you only have 6 months after purchase to
report a problem due to that. Also, I believe that the UK has not
yet fully implemented all of the Directive provisions into statute,
and possibly Scotland will be different anyway. It may be that this
won't apply anyway since your purchase probably predates the new
legislation. Again TS will be able to help you.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl