Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default water pipe vs DOM

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:01:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've got a project where i need over a hundred feet of 1.38 ID by
1.625 OD DOM tubing.

Turns out this is almost exactly the same size as 1 1/4 water pipe,
MUCH less expenisve.

Need to do a lot of machining and some bending of a small tab. Will
water pipe work as well?

My experience with it is that it's pretty gummy to turn, but that's
because it's usually made of something like AISI 1010. DOM typically
is 1020 or 1030.

When I say "like" 1010, I'm talking only about carbon content. As
far
as I know, it's not graded material, or it's a special spec just for
water pipe. It is very low in carbon, however.

--
Ed Huntress

I just filed and Scotch-Brited an old work-holding fixture turned from
black pipe. It's smooth and shiny but on the low end of the samples
I'd show an interviewer to prove I can run a lathe.
--jsw