Fraser

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
Fraser.

I have seen it suggested in this NG -uk.diy,that 6 years is a reasonable
time to expect such items to "live" but haven't seen anything to back

this
up.
Stuart

Have a look on www.tradingstandards.gov.uk they have a lot of information

in
their advice leaflet's.

That website has pretty much the same claim. From the FAQ at:
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0054-1111.txt

--- 8 ---
Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about 18 months ago, and the freezer section
has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to do
anything as it was outside the original 12 month guarantee. What are my
rights?
A. Firstly, when you buy goods from a shop, you enter into a contract under
the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This holds the shop liable for up
to six years after purchase (Limitation Act 1980), providing that you can
show that the problem is down to an unreasonable fault and not normal wear
and tear. Secondly, remember that the guarantee is in addition to these
statutory legal rights. Don't be taken in by the shop's argument here - they
are using the issue of the guarantee as a red herring to try to avoid their
legal obligations toward you. See our leaflet 'Buying Goods' for more
information on your rights.
--- 8 ---

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned I'm in Scotland, so things may be a
little different (5 years from discovery of fault, as opposed to 6 from
purchase). I put part (but not all) of the purchase on my Visa, which also
may have relevance. The Trading Standards website says "This means that the
credit card company and the supplier have the same obligations and
responsibilities to you for the goods being satisfactory.", however that may
not apply because 100% of the purchase wasn't put on the credit card. I'll
probably keep that as a last resort.

I'll be getting in touch with the store on Monday. Gives me a chance to find
the receipt (which Trading Standards says isn't actually necessary!) and let
the store quieten down a bit after the Christmas sales. It will be easier if
the manager is in a good mood!! ;-) Fingers crossed!!

Fraser.