Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default water pipe vs DOM

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I've got a project where i need over a hundred feet of 1.38 ID by
1.625 OD DOM tubing.

Turns out this is almost exactly the same size as 1 1/4 water pipe,
MUCH less expenisve.

Need to do a lot of machining and some bending of a small tab. Will
water pipe work as well?

If it matters, recently purchased water pipe may not be particularly
round, especially at the weld. I have to adjust its position in a
3-jaw chuck to get it close to centered.

I made some half round stone splitting shims from it, involving a lot
of cold bending before and after welding, and it didn't crack. It
seems quite soft as steel goes, but doesn't tear when turning it. My
untested SWAG of its yield strength would be at the 25 KSI low end for
steel. It's easy to weld.

--jsw