Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Cat proofing a stereo

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:42:19 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:55:38 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

snip

But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?

I think that everyone should visit a slaughter house.

Unfortunately (for me and many others) I think you are right mate.

I don't think you should be able to buy meat from the shops unless you
show your 'Attendance certificate'. ;-(

I think the chances are I'd probably give up the little meat I eat now
days entirely before getting my certificate ...

Trust me. There are teens that do not know where potatoes come from (they
say "the supermarket" when asked)

No, I believe you

It would be interesting to see what they
say if you say before the supermarket.

and I think it's a sad state of affairs.

I don't think it matters a damn myself.

And it would only the most stupid that
don't realise that the meat in the supermarket
doesn't come from a live animal.

I was reminded just how bad things are getting when a
elderly family friend was talking about dumping all her
husbands old tools because 'none of the children want them'. ;-(

Didn't happen with mine, I designed and built my own house
from scratch on a bare block of land, not something my dad
or his father ever did, although they did have lots of tools
that I eventually ended up with most of. One of his grandkids
is a full time builder, his kid is a bit young to be clear what
he will do yet.

Or is it getting bad or is just things are changing away
what most here probably accepted as 'perfectly normal'?

Or is it just another example of old farts deploring how the
kids today are completely ****ing hopeless. We can see that
the ancient greeks used to sit around in their togas or
whatever they wore and rave on exactly the same way.

Few want to be real (hands on / oily rag type) 'Engineers' these days,
preferring to sit in front of a screen programming stuff ... 'Software
Engineers'?

Yes, what gets engineered does change over time.

You don't see to many bothering with steam engines much anymore.

So, few service their own vehicles any more

Because they don't need much service at all anymore.

(even the bits they could do),

You can in fact so much more today when the system tells
you what has failed if you have enough of a clue to get an
ODB2 diagnostic device for a coupla bucks.

few fix their own household appliances

Few ever did and it makes a lot more sense to get a chinese
person to make you another for peanuts now with most of them.

(when in many cases they could, if only they tried)

Not all that many at all in fact with the portable appliances.

and it seems few can even fit a plug top

Because they come with decent molded cables
that never need anyone to do that anymore.

or as you say, know where most of their food

Doesn't matter if they do.

(or anything for that matter) comes from. ;-(

I think they should dump religious / media studies
at school and feed them continuous episodes of
'How it' made' and 'Food unwrapped' instead.

Makes a lot more sense to do what we have done, have
that available for anyone who is interested to watch for free.

Actual programs that relate to the world they live in,

Plenty of that with the food programs alone.

not just following (and worse aspiring)
to some bogus / faux 'celebrity.

p.s. I'm pleased to state that our (25 yr old) daughter has no
interest (what so ever) in any of that celebrity BS and of the little
television she watches, Mastermind and University Challenge are right
at the top (and she amazes us re just how much she knows about the
'older stuff'). ;-)

And I bet that isnt that uncommon.