Dave

Default sheared Allen Bolt removal

"Rasputin" wrote in message
wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Rasputin" wrote in message
I've got a baby high chair which has had one of the heads
of a supporting Allen Bolt shear off.

So I've got a bolt stuck in the chair. I'd like to get it out
myself, otherwise we're looking at 2 weeks without the chair
while the manufacturers decide if they want to replace it....

My guess is I need to somehow get a slot etched into the top so
I can get it out with a flathead. But how can I do that since its
flush with the wood?

I hear EZouts are a bad idea, since they're prone to snap off...

Buy the expensive ones and they won't break.

snip

I just took the other sides bolt out to have a look.
It was about finger tight which handy.

Its 36mm long, about 5mm wide - also looks tapered at the end.
I cant get to the other side as it beds into the back of the chair.

Based on that I'll leave drilling out as a last resort, will try planB.

Someone has suggested a reverse threaded drill bit to coax it out...not
sure if thats a 'tartan paint' kind of thing, will find out if local
hardware shop laugh at me.....

You will struggle finding one. Try your local engineers supplier, he might
be able to point you to a reverse twist drill. They do exist, as they are
used in automatic drilling heads in the engineering industry.

Dave