Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Cat proofing a stereo

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:46:23 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:33:02 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:
snip

Mine is the second one down on the first column.

snip

IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)

If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]

The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
(or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
walk.

A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
'cute'.

'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'

(The answer was already and accurately provided by your chart of
course). ;-)

Best just to keep all "meat" animals in captivty with restricted space and
then slaughter them for human consumption then?

Sorry, what bit specifically was that in reply to Adam?

It seemed obvious to me. Anywhere you don't like loose animals that eat meat, like "A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk"

But 'best', depends how much you like you meat and if you are
expecting everyone to out and kill it themselves?

I can't comprehend that sentence, but unless you're a vegetarian, why do you consider yourself more moral than a cat?

I know how it works - I have worked in the chicken factory at T*****, at
slaughter houses plus several farms.

As a meat eater (although very little these days) I am having animals
killed on my behalf (who wouldn't have existed in the first place was
it not for our consumption yada yada).

Tell that to the dead animal.

However, I don't tend to eat
them alive or have them killed slowly as many predatory animals do
(often including cats).

Death is one million times more cruel than the torture beforehand. Would you rather I tortured you for a few hours then let you go to live the rest of your entire life, or killed you instantly?

However, whilst it's what most animals have to
do to survive, it's not what most cats (or domestic pets) *have* to
do.

Easy enough to beat the **** out of any cat who does.

Just as my dogs don't need to hunt and kill cats to survive (and
that was in spite of them mostly being 'Sight / snap hounds', like
whippets, and lurchers that probably would, given the need).

Don't get me wrong, I think cats are very clever (by design,
physically)

Actually, that tail is a very bad design, they seem unaware it's there. They hide under the sofa then wonder how I'm able to pull them back out.

it's just not what I would want from something that I
might look to as 'a companion'. Dogs have been 'mans best friend' and
lived and worked (being a big point) alongside man for thousands of
years and whilst cats have also been around for a long time, and
outside of keeping down vermin, they have really only been a
'possession'.

A dog requires maintenance. A cat does not, just feeding. You give iut as much attention as you have time for.

That said, what would kill the most rats in an hour, a terrier or a
cat?

No idea, but mine manage to kill all rats and mice that appear. Before I got them, my neighbour was always complaining about rats coming up a drain in her garden, and on several occasions paid for an exterminator.

snip

Anyway, none of that was the point in question g ... it was what
lengths some people seem to have to go to to stop their 'pet'
negatively impacting their lives (overheated amplifiers,

Simple (and fun) fix.

making clean sheets dirty,

I've not observed this with any of my 4.

crapping in other people gardens etc)

Not my problem. And when others crap in my garden, I leave it as fertiliser. If I'm digging in the flowerbed, easy enough to shovel it into the bin, just as I'd dig up a weed.

and whilst
offering little positive in return (IMHO), both to humanity and many
individuals (some of whom possess the things)! ;-)

They are company, just like a dog.

If I walk into a house that has a cat I find they are so stupid they
don't realise I see no point in them and yet they still end up on my
lap (uninvited). Not content with assuming they have the right to be
there, they then claw me for no reason and at that point they are
likely to get drop kicked out of a window. ;-)

I've never had a cat attack me unless I was being nasty to it first. Dogs however are very territorial and like to bite "intruders" who are visiting a house. I've kicked many a dog to prevent that. On one occasion it started a heated argument between the owner, his wife, and their neighbour, after the dog I kicked landed arse over tit in her flowerbed.

--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.