Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Banksia

On 13/04/2016 9:01 AM, Alan wrote:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:46:28 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:30:46 -0600
graham wrote:

I e-mailed the President of the West Australian woodturners soc and
she told me that it is difficult to turn and that my experience was
quite normal.

what did the president of the east australian woodturners soc say

Where ?????? NSW, Queensland ?

They are as far away from WA as San Diego is to New York.

It takes about 1 & 1/2 days driving travelling east just to get out of
WA which is about 1/3 of Australia.

Banksia is a Western Australian timber, as is Jarrah, Marri, Karri and
Sheoak. I think I have about 4 Banksia pods out in my shed and only
have to go out in the bush to get more. I prefer Sheoak and Jarrah.

Alan

I have some pods but this was a piece of wood. The bowl I turned is
surprisingly heavy.
I hope to visit WA next January and perhaps pick up the odd bowl blank -
but not in Banskia wood!
Graham