Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller gun tips

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 05:53:48 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 11:46:36 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I don't solder my wire antennas, so that's not a problem for me.
Soldering interferes with my ability to make changes in lengths.

Not even connectors?

I don't attach connectors directly to the wires of a wire antenna. If
the antenna is permanent or needs to be portable, I might solder lugs
to the wire ends, which then attach to an insulator or balun via a
bolt and nut.

Personally, I avoid using UHF connectors and greatly prefer crimp type
connectors[1]. Crimp connectors do not require soldering, which is
especially handy when replacing a connector on a tower, in the wind,
rain, etc. There's a reason that *ALL* CATV connectors are crimped,
not soldered. If one follows the instructions and uses the correct
tools, crimping connectors is fairly foolproof and easily mastered. I
can't say the same for soldering connectors, where bad connections and
sloppy soldering seem to be rather common.

If you include the spares, lug crimpers, D-connector crimpers, Cannon
connector crimpers, and Nicopress collection, I have about 50 assorted
crimping and cable prep tools. Part of my coax and CATV tool
collection:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Misc/slides/crimpers.html
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Misc/slides/CATV-tools.html

[1] Yes, I know that there are UHF crimp type connectors:
https://www.google.com/search?q=uhf+connector+crimp&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D