Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba 2SD424 and B554

Actually you should be looking for NOS 2SD427 and 557, the highest power of the series.

My standard go to is the MJ15024 and if necessary its complimentary which I think is the 15025 but not sure, check the data at Digikey. Onsemi, about six bucks. Some people prefer other MJ series in the audiophile world, but these are sported to have "the largest die size for this class" or something like that. I have them in my amp and my speakers are blown but not the amp.

Another decent set is the 2N3773 and 6609. Nice smooth gain. But they are not as good for as much power. Better than a 2N3055 and MJ2955, but not a 15024.