Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Cat proofing a stereo

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:54:14 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:41:54 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:36:37 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:16:33 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:
snip

Mine is the second one down on the first column.

snip

IMHO, they are all that breed, even if not on that chart. ;-)

If I had a dog that tried to get up on a surface where I prepared food
or climb all over my HiFi / PC / mantelpiece it would be taken down
the vet for a long sleep sharpish. [1]

Cats don't dribble saliva everywhere they go,

Nor did any of our dogs.

Most dogs do.

and tend to have clean paws.

As did our dogs?

Really? You take them for a walk and they come back home with magically clean paws?

The good thing of course is I've never had a dog do anything like that
(or crap in other peoples gardens) so never had the need for that long
walk.

The only reason they don't crap in other people's gardens is that you take the for a walk and tell them where to do it.

Quite, just as it should be in polite society don't you think?

Why are the needs of a human greater than that of a cat?

It's not the type of animal that matters, it's the instruction.

Possibly, however I bet there are far fewer 'well trained' cats than
dogs out there, especially when it comes to when they do when 'under
control'.

Cats **** in flower beds and fertilise them, dogs **** on pavements so you stand in it. I've never stood in cat ****.

A 'pet' cat is like having a loose pet hawk and it's only yours just
because / whilst you feed it now and again (when it's not feeding
itself (or just murdering for the fun of it) off the local wildlife).

Not if you teach it to leave birds alone. They can be taught as easily as dogs.

Really? I don't disbelieve what you say but I can't say I've ever seen
it in practice? In fact I can't say I've ever seen a cat reliably (if
ever) respond to any command, unless it involved food.

There you go then, you reward it with food, or more food, or nicer food, when it behaves. And do the opposite when it misbehaves. Yelling at or kicking the cat would also be effective.

'Tiddles, come here ... ' (cat saunters off in the opposite
direction).

How easy is it to train them to be 'guide cats for the blind', or
'drug / money / cancer sniffer cats'

Sniffing for drugs I do not consider to be useful.

or 'helper cats around the home'?

https://youtu.be/puYANVYxPys

[1] It's as if you have to have a lobotomy when you take on a cat that
then allows you to consider their wanton vandalism and violent ways
'cute'.

'Awww look, Tiddles just knocked a full cup of tea over my brand new
Apple laptop ... what is he like ...'

They are usually quite careful.

Still more often found 'up on stuff' than most dogs ...

If a dog was up on stuff, it would knock everything over every time.

I can't remember ever asking for advice re how to stop any of my dogs
getting up on my stereo. ;-)

I didn't ask for advice, I gave a simple method to stop it.

--
Hello, you have reached technical support.
Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a problem, or 4 to report a cockup.