Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:31:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 23:58:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 11:36:25 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 05/04/2016 14:02, Mr Macaw wrote:

Only if we all started at once. What will really happen is it will
take
decades for everyone to take them up, and the substations will be
gradually upgraded. And since the electric companies are making a
lot
more money, they can spend that on the transformers.

ROFL. The RECS will be 'persuading' the government to force electric
car
owners to have a smart meter and either charge them all the missing
fuel
duty and car tax via their leccy bill, or simply tell the meter to
instruct the car to stop charging when a brownout situation occurs.

Far too easy to get around.

In the same way you can get any ATM to give you anything you want cash
wise
?

The ATM is not on my property.

Irrelevant to the fact that you can't get around an ATM to give
you anything you want cash wise. Just as true of billing what
power you have used to charge the car, you can't get around
that either if it is properly done.

No, with an ATM it knows precisely how much is in your account and
precisely how much cash it gives you. It doesn't know however, what you
spend the cash on. The meter also doesn't know what you use the
electricity for.

It can do with a properly designed system where the car
charger has to signal to the smart meter that it's a car
charger before the system will allow it to use the power.

And that signalling can be just as secure and impossible
to work around as net banking is already.

With electricity, we are talking about routing power,

No, we are talking about getting around the system used for billing.

That isnt easy to get around either.

We're not talking about getting free electricity, or even avoiding tax on
electricity, just lying about what you are using that electricity for.

Yes, but when it is clearly possible to do net banking in
a way that can't be worked around, the same thing can
be done with the power billing system too, impossible
to work around. That is already done with smart meters
in the sense of being impossible to work around.

The only way the meter could be sure what you use it for is if there were
two seperate outputs from the meter, one to the car charging socket, and
one to the rest of your house.

The other perfectly viable approach is for the car charger to
have to indicate to the smart meter that it is a car charger
before the smart meter will allow it to use any power.

And what's to stop you just connecting the car to the wrong outlet?

It wont get any power unless it says it's a car charger.

And because it has to identify itself, you can't just block
that signalling, because then it wouldn't be able to say
'I am car charger 367822cdf, send me electricity now'