Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:21:44 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 12 April 2016 13:34:52 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:31:26 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 23:58:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 11:36:25 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 05/04/2016 14:02, Mr Macaw wrote:

Only if we all started at once. What will really happen is it will
take
decades for everyone to take them up, and the substations will be
gradually upgraded. And since the electric companies are making a lot
more money, they can spend that on the transformers.

ROFL. The RECS will be 'persuading' the government to force electric
car
owners to have a smart meter and either charge them all the missing
fuel
duty and car tax via their leccy bill, or simply tell the meter to
instruct the car to stop charging when a brownout situation occurs.

Far too easy to get around.

In the same way you can get any ATM to give you anything you want cash
wise
?

The ATM is not on my property.

Irrelevant to the fact that you can't get around an ATM to give
you anything you want cash wise. Just as true of billing what
power you have used to charge the car, you can't get around
that either if it is properly done.

No, with an ATM it knows precisely how much is in your account and precisely how much cash it gives you. It doesn't know however, what you spend the cash on. The meter also doesn't know what you use the electricity for.

and why would that matter. Are you assuming that the electricity to charge yuor car will be free, just like I was told that nuclear energy would be so cheap in teh furture they wouldn't bother billing us for it.

No, I'm referring to what was monitored earlier in the thread, that they would charge MORE for car electricity, just as they charge more for car diesel than farm diesel.

The electric companies will be charging for electricity for your car just like they do for your kettle. So I'm not sure what eadvantage it is to turn a kettle on and off on and off I doubt iut saves money any more than it would if charging a car.

With electricity, we are talking about routing power,

No, we are talking about getting around the system used for billing.

That isnt easy to get around either.

We're not talking about getting free electricity, or even avoiding tax on electricity, just lying about what you are using that electricity for.

who gives a ****.

Me, when there are two vastly different rates.

The only way the meter could be sure what you use it for is if there were two seperate outputs from the meter, one to the car charging socket, and one to the rest of your house. And what's to stop you just connecting the car to the wrong outlet?

you have a ****ing meter just like you have a petrol guage in the car not in the house as then it will be used at garages and friends houses and anywhere else you charge from.
All yuo need in yuor home smartmeter is teh ability to communicate with the car, them everything else is controlled from the car.
If for any reason yuor smartmeter needs to know how much you charge the car up it interigest the car for the info.
These sort of communication have been around for years oon formuala one and the like transmitting info back to the pits about all sorts of car systems.

I'd disconnect that ****. My electricity company has no business knowing what I use my electricity for. It could be my dishwasher, my car, or a marijuana farm.

--
I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist.
Then she told me the truth: that she was seeing a psychiatrist, two plumbers, and a bartender.