Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default brass vs bronze for making a punch

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:27:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

What if any differences might I notice when making and more importantly
using a 1/4" punch made of C360 brass vs C932 bearing bronze? The brass
will work harden, but I can only guess bearing material is not supposed to
harden up under use.

The punch would be just that- 1/4" x 4", tapered and knurled and used for
driving out stuck pins. I figure it's easy enough to make and will be
useful

Since you haven't yet gotten a specific answer, I'll just point out
that C360 is a great deal harder and stronger than C932. The bearing
bronzes are pretty soft and, in the case of C932, kind of "mushy." I
don't know its work-hardening properties.

My guess is that C360 is a better material for your application. Some
bearing bronzes would be similar to ordinary brass, but C932 is pretty
soft.

--
Ed Huntress