Default dvd player buying advice

I am looking to buy a DVD player as a `second unit`.

I`d be looking to get an inexpensive unit this time, for occasional
use only. I know, as a tech, that with electronics you get what you
pay for. However, I dont have much experience with low end DVD players
and so my question is:

What is the general feeling on budget priced (around 40 uk pounds)
players? Such as those sold in Argos, Index Asda (the UK version of
Wal mart) and so on? Are there any which stand out as bargains or are
these players all total junk?
Any techs out there seen huge numbers of returns for any particular
brand? If so, which are best avoided? should I just avoid them
entirely and go for a brand name again?
(After reading the thread "most reliable dvd player" the general
impression seems to be that, of the `name brands`, Sony, Panasonic,
pioneer, and Toshiba come recommended (depite Sony spares prices being
prohibitively priced as usual). Any further (or more up to date)
comments on that?

thanks for any comments and tips
regards, Ben