Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1960s-1970s Telephone Repair

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 23:05:33 -0700, DaveC wrote:

I don't know what kind of plastic your part is but there is a two part
plastic cement that bonds well to many of the plastics that are hard
to glue. I don't remember the name

I’ve had great success mending most plastics of all kinds (varying degrees
with poly-types) using Devcon Plastic Welder:

http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-22045-P.../dp/B003NUGL9S

It’s my go-to solution when fixing anything plastic.

Well, at least Devcon doesn't claim that it's an epoxy. From the MSDS
sheet at:
http://www.itwconsumer.com/userfiles/files/msds/DV-MSDS/22045.pdf
it appears to be similar to the MMA based Loctite Plastic Epoxy Bonder
but without the carbon tetrachloride solvent to soften the base
plastic.

Data sheet:
http://www.itwconsumer.com/userfiles/files/techdata-sheet/DV%20Tech%20Data/22045%20TDS.pdf
"Not recommended for use on copper or brass"

Cool phone. Brings back memories. Ours was (at different times, replacements
installed after family of 6 abused it) red, yellow, black, white. With
extra-long handset cord, of course.

Same here, but with fewer phones and colors. In college, I helped
build a private exchange, complete with direct dialing and rotary
steppers, in the dorms. Everything was "donated", which translated
from student slang meant stolen. This was approximately when we first
walked on the moon, so the administration was tolerant of anything
that might be considered science and resisted the temptation to throw
all us phone phreaks out of skool. Yep, fond memories.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D