Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller gun tips

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 17:46:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

well, bought a 140/100 watt gun and tips. The standard tips
fell apart at the tip. As if the tips were soldered together.
Very funny HaHa.

I've done that by tightening the nuts which twists the copper tip
wire. When it gets hot, the wire softens a little, causing it to
break. I've also done that by "pushing" on the tip, causing the wires
to spread and eventually break.

Hmmm... You said "tips". Duz that mean you destroyed more than one?
What were you doing to make that happen?

Is there a heavier duty tip for the 140/100 watt gun ?

The standard soldering tip is the 7135 and variations.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289816
Heavy duty (premium) soldering tip is 8125 and variations.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289817
Make sure you don't get a tip made for the D550 or D650.

Or, if you're a cheap tightwad penny pincher, roll your own:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Free-Replacement-Tip-for-Soldering-Guns/

I used one in HS that would blow a hole thru the fridge door.
This gun is not that. Nor did I experience tip failure.

Other than for cutting plastic rope, I don't see the soldering gun to
be very useful these daze. I would not use a gun to repair any manner
of electronics on a PCB. May I suggest you invest in a soldering iron
instead?

opinions ?

Find a cheap replacement tip and sell it and the gun. Buy a soldering
iron and some desoldering tools. More free advice after you disclose
what you're trying to solder/unsolder/destroy.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558