Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default AAA/AA NiMh battery capacity meter - has anyone seen such a thing?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 20:50:52 +0100, pamela wrote:

snip

The charger doesn't exactly put on a performance with patterns of
flashing LEDs sufficient to impress people passing on the other
side of the room.

This is true. ;-)

This La Crosse look-a-like sits quietly without
even as much as a solitary red LED to tell you it's on.

LCD's ya know.

Is the 200mA charge (100 mA discharge) the best "TEST" setting to
determine the capacity of AAA Eneloops?

It really depends on the spec of the cells themselves. That said, most
NiCd / MiMh cells are vented these days so *should* be able to
tolerate a fairly quick charge. Does it not say on them what the max
charge rate is?

Those AAA cells have a capacity of about 700 mAh, so is this test
likely to take something in the region of 10 to 12 hours?

Or more if it's doing the capacity test, rather than just a charge.

I'm tempted by the faster 500 mA charge (250 mA discharge) test
but is this too rapid to give accurate results with AAA Eneloops?

I would suggest it was and not just because they are Eneloops. The
best things in life are worth waiting for. ;-)

Cheers, T i m