Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Totally OT) The NHS

On 11/04/2016 19:02, Andrew wrote:
On 11/04/2016 14:55, Huge wrote:
On 2016-04-11, Andrew wrote:
On 11/04/2016 14:08, Huge wrote:
On 2016-04-11, Andrew wrote:
On 11/04/2016 10:31, News wrote:

Yes, but why? We're talking the NHS, not a series of private
companies.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. No profit motive, no
accountability, and loads of jobsworth chips off shoulders.

Sadly, having had some exposure to the American "system", I can assure
you it's considerably worse.

Still not a problem if you have effective medical insurance (which most
big employers provided). The insurance company with their skyscrapers
full of clerks argue over the bill with the hospital of physician.

Untrue.

We wouldn't have an NHS if other countries (who provide all the hi-tech
kit and drugs) didn't have a profit-based system.

Doubtful.

Fact. Do some basic research on the country of origin of all the hitech
kit that the NHS utterly depends on. USA, Germany, Japan, Finland,
Holland, Israel are countries you will routinely find on the
manufactures info plate. One label you won't see is 'Made in England'.

They may not be made in England, but a good part of the research and
development will have happened here. Then, as usual, there will have
been insufficient support from the short-termist finance sector for
actually going into production and companies around the world, in
countries with an eye to the longer term, have reaped the financial
benefits.