Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default (Totally OT) The NHS

On 11/04/2016 16:39, Capitol wrote:

Pity you know nothing about technology. I was working on the
basics of MRI scanning in the UK in 1959 for GEC research. IIRC EMI at
Feltham developed the MRI machines, the US followed. The defence
industry provided the research funds for all sorts of products in the
1960s and provided the UK with a superb technological base. The UK had
the basic patents for FETs and LCDs. New drugs come from a variety of
companies, look to see who owns the drugs market. The US drugs market is
an extortion system, where the Drs are paid to prescribe new drugs,
which frequently are inferior to the existing products, Exalto(?) is a
good example, which as I understand it is inferior to Warfarin.

There are no purely British CT or MRI scanners anywhere in the NHS, they
are all Siemens. Whatever people like you did in the 60's is history,
along with the companies you worked for. Unlike you I have worked in NHS
path labs and I know where all the analysers came from in to 70's, and
it wasn't Britain.

Antibiotics were a british invention, developed further by the
drugs companies need to have a patent protected product which could be
sold for a higher price.

Pencillin was discovered (not invented) at St Marys hospital but it was
Americans who developed mass production.

The move to automated testing was spurred on by the excessive
costs of labour for manual testing, it's the same in any industry. To
this day, if you want an accurate answer, you will use manual testing.
Automated testing is not always reliable.

ROFL !!!. You are clueless. Have you ever been inside a routine NHS
pathology lab processing hundreds of requests every day ?. Many of the
parameters now produced by a beckman-coulter blood counter/analyser can
never be derived 'manually'.

Having built a gas chromatograph analyser in 5 days(with a team
of 5 other people), I know that the UK was ahead of the field in many
areas and still is.

Irrelevent to the diagnostic requirements of a busy hospital path lab.