Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1960s-1970s Telephone Repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:12:40 -0400, "J. B. Wood"
wrote:

Hello, all, especially those with familiarity with subject. I've got a
decades-old Stromberg-Carlson SC-2554 wall mount phone. It's still in
great shape except recently a small white piece of plastic on the
make/break hook switch broke rendering the rest of the cradle mechanism
inoperative. The plastic piece finally broke from the tension from the
return spring. It's a clean break but I'm afraid that even if I can
glue the pieces back together it will most likely fail again in short
order. Thanks for your time and your comment is most appreciated.
Sincerely,

I don't know what kind of plastic your part is but there is a two part
plastic cement that bonds well to many of the plastics that are hard
to glue. I don't remember the name but I think it is made by Loctite
which has lots of epoxies and the like at hardware stores. Anyway, the
stuff is made specifically for plastic repair, not general repair jobs
like JB Weld (which is pretty good stuff) and 5 minute epoxy and the
like. I have used the stuff and it worked very well. Smelled bad when
curing but no smell once cured. I even used it in a test repair. The
radiator in our Toyota Camry developed a crack in the upper plastic
part of the radiator. I ordered a new radiator and while waiting for
it tried this plastic repair stuff. I cleaned and roughed up the
plastic, slathered on the glue, then I laid a piece of cloth which was
saturated with the glue on top. After it set the car was driven for a
couple weeks before I replaced the radiator. The patch never gave up
and the radiator got hotter than the recommended highest temperature
for the glue. I don't know how long the patch would have lasted but
since it was on the car I installed the new radiator.
Eric