Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1960s-1970s Telephone Repair

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 4:12:44 PM UTC-4, J. B. Wood wrote:
Hello, all, especially those with familiarity with subject. I've got a
decades-old Stromberg-Carlson SC-2554 wall mount phone. It's still in
great shape except recently a small white piece of plastic on the
make/break hook switch broke rendering the rest of the cradle mechanism
inoperative. The plastic piece finally broke from the tension from the
return spring. It's a clean break but I'm afraid that even if I can
glue the pieces back together it will most likely fail again in short
order. Thanks for your time and your comment is most appreciated.
Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Mpfffff... take out the part. Put it back together with JB Weld - available everywhere. Be sloppy with the material, but make sure that you do not glue the part to anything else. I will on occasion tie such a part together with fine thread (if there are holes through it, even better) and suspend it during the curing process. Then with files, X-Acto and sandpaper, reshape the part to its correct size, removing flash and sprue, so to write. Re-drill any filled holes and you are done. JB Weld will be harder and stronger than the OEM plastic by a considerable margin.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA