Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_11_] Muggles[_11_] is offline

Default Slooooow!

On 4/10/2016 7:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 6:22:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 12:34:36 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I was thinking of something that requires a lot of throughput like video editing or animation production. I'm not a pirate who's uploading movies so I really don't need the high upload speeds but I do need a high download speed so I can watch those streaming pirated movies. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Streaming Monster

Maybe I am still a victim of the "distributed processing" craze that
started in the 80s when we unhooked from mainframes and did the work
on our desk.
Now it seems we are going back to the mainframe (cloud) model and
depending on far away computers to do what we did on our desk.

Our company tried the cloud for both apps and data for about 2 years. Now we
are back to "local machines" for the applications with all of our data on
network drives. Our networks (which span the world) couldn't handle the
traffic. Even now, we have times when things just stop for a few seconds,
sometimes up to 10-15 seconds. As you know, that's a coon's age when you're
sitting in front of a computer, you click and nothing happens. Nothing!

Worse yet is when the window dims and the dreaded "(Not Responding)" is added
to the app name in the title bar.

...snip...

I remember that happening just before I crashed one computer at work.
They finally got me a better computer and that one did ok for about 5
years. When it was going on it's 6th year I was running out of space
and it would hiccup, blink, pause, and turn itself off randomly. I told
the powers that be if they didn't want to lose 6 years of back-up files
they better find me another drive I could store it all on. They finally
got me a new pc that wasn't old as dirt.

--
Maggie