Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slooooow!

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 7:06:00 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 5:35:32 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 12:03:10 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 11:43:51 AM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 04/09/2016 09:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I wonder why the ISPs over there are offering such relatively low upload
speeds compared to here in the UK

If I was a conspiracy guy I would suggest that the content providers
want to slow down pirates. When you understand Comcast (one of the
biggest broadband providers) also owns NBC and Universal studios, it
is not that far out. I am surprised that they are not blocking binary
usenet groups and bit torrent feeds.

IDK about pirates, but various ISP may want to differentiate pricing
for commercial users who are hosting substantial websites from casual
home users. For a typical home user, 5mb up is plenty, while if you
had some heavy usage commercial thing you're trying to run out of your
house, it might not be.

If I wanted to backup a few TB of data to "the Cloud" (and could afford
to do store it there) 5mbps would be impractically slow.

Perce

Does it make a big difference if that backup takes 30 secs or an hour?
Seems backups can be auto scheduled to run at 3AM. And even if it's
running in the background, PCs today have the HP to do that without
you even noticing.

If I were doing a lot of cloud computing, I'd want a fast upload connection to decrease latency. Of course I'm not doing anything that intensive but with the move toward turning everything into a smart terminal with limited local storage for cloud computing, fast upload speeds along with the fast download speed would be beneficial. Of course that's my unimportant opinion. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Terminal Monster

Latency and upload speed are really two different though interrelated
things. What we've really been talking about here is throughput. Latency
is the time between initiating something and getting a response. The
latency is affected by the throughput, but it may not be the dominant
factor at 5mb.
Even if you're doing a lot of cloud computing, it really depends on whether
you're just working on a spreadsheet or editing movies. A 5 mb link is
probably fine for spreadsheets, not so fine for movies or anything where
the file size is large.

I was thinking of something that requires a lot of throughput like video editing or animation production. I'm not a pirate who's uploading movies so I really don't need the high upload speeds but I do need a high download speed so I can watch those streaming pirated movies. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Streaming Monster