Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On 09/04/2016 16:45, Andrew wrote:
On 08/04/16 13:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Like I said, not happening anytime soon. Possibly ever. It's virtually
impossible to tax car electricity (the core point) specially compared to
"normal" electricity as you cannot mark it in any special way like fuel
and it's too easy to circumvent.

So they will tax batteries or something else, instead

If it doesn't move, tax it, if it moves, tax it.

I see Ofgem are proposing charging a higher rate of VAT on heavy users
of electricity (or a variable rate depending on usage). There is an
article in the 'i' about it.

No - I haven't read the proposal. Immediately makes me ask what happens
if you want to recharge at a friend's house? What if your recharging
pushes them into some sort of extra cost as a heavy user?

--
Rod