Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Banksia

On 10/04/2016 8:55 AM, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
graham wrote:
I doubt that I'll ever find another piece. This blank came from a
long-defunct woodturning supply store in the UK.
I'm now turning some Manitoba Maple burl and practising my deep hollow
turning technique.

I think you will find they are actually quite common. I think I've seen
them at "Axminster Power tools" and also at Yandles

But not the wood from the Banksia tree!

http://www.yandles.co.uk/

That's definitely a place worth visiting.

Quickly looking, I see they have Banksia nuts for sale.

http://www.yandles.co.uk/banksia-nut...-grandis/p5221

But I live in Canada. Banksia pods are no longer available as apparently
a shipment a few years ago had not been properly fumigated.
Graham