Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rimless cartridge question

On 8 Apr 2016 03:51:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-04-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 8 Apr 2016 01:56:38 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-04-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 08:06:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[ ... ]

I've only tired that (with the wax sold for the task) with .38
special, and with the .22 Jet. The latter I used in my apartment to get
roaches which would retreat into the corner of the ceiling of the
bathroom, and wave their feelers at me, saying "You can't swat us here
-- to much obstruction." (Maybe so -- but the wax load did quite well
for the job. I didn't have any really long range shots, but what I did
use it for it was sufficiently accurate. :-)

Note that I always did the "cookie cutter" loading when the wax
was comfortably warm. (Shortly after melting and pouring it.) Cold
would be likely to fracture during the process.

I've been saving wax from Gouda cheese, and I think that it
might work well for the task, too. Perhaps it is time to try that
again.

Ohmigod. You should write an article about it if it works: "Gouda
Bullets for Indoor Roach Hunting" g

No chance to test it now. The hunting was back when I lived in
an apartment -- and as soon as one of the other 11 apartments in the
building got sprayed, the roaches would flood to all the other
apartments. (They really should have done all the apartments at once.

I used a Navy surplus bug bomb just before moving to the house
with my (then to be) wife, and we haven't seen any here since we moved
in -- about 1975. :-)

Maybe the resident cats keep them out of sight. I know that
they occasionally find a cricket and play with it until there are parts
scattered around.

I thought I'd try melting some
beeswax with the paraffin, but I lost interest in the whole thing.
It's very illegal here and my wife could hear even the primer-only
loads from outdoors.

Hmm ... could it be told from the sound of a mousetrap snapping
from outside? But if it is illegal there, probably not a good idea
anyway.

Why illegal? The connection to "quick-draw"? I didn't have
that connection when I got mine -- just for indoor target shooting. And
Virginia is a lot more relaxed about firearms. :-)

I also got roaches who ran back between the bottles of
developing chemicals in the kitchen -- but for that I used a hypodermic
syringe loaded with 1,1,1 Trichloroethane (otherwise used for developing
printed circuit boards. :-) No harm to the bottles, but one touch of the
stuff and the roach was on its back. A water pistol might have been
more convenient, but the stuff would dissolve the pistol before I could
bring it to bear. :-)

You have a fresh take on very small-game hunting there, Don....

Had -- back when I had targets. Just as glad to not have them,
now. :-)

I'll tell you something that worked really well, though: a tiny pinch
of Red Dot and a round ball, pressed down in the case. I only tried
that with the .38, but it shot straight. It was too loud for my
basement, though. One neighbor's house is about 8 feet away. g

Hmm ... I've got some intersting "bullets" which work well for
that in .38 special. The bullet is black plastic (Delrin, perhaps?) and
the cartridge is red plastic with a primer pocket for large pistol
primers, instead of the small pistol primers appropriate for .38 Spl.
Target was mounted on a large cardboard box, with an old towel hanging
inside it to shed energy and drop them to the bottom of the box. They
*would* go through the box cardboard, and would probably be also quite
painful if you got hit with one.

I've seen those plastic/plastic rounds in a catalog. Again, I have a
serious noise and legal problem with it.

A pity. Perhaps move to someplace where things are a bit more
relaxed? :-)

I'm actually one bullet short -- perhaps I should try turning up
replacements from Delrin?

Another article! d8-)

Hardly worth it -- unless it has serious problems to be
overcome. I wish that I could get similar ones for the .22 Jet (S&W
revolver, not the later Thompson Contender barrels, which take higher
pressures.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Its very easy to turn them out of nylon and hollow base them to allow
for a bit of expansion. They can be fired out of your normal brass
cases, many many times

Gunner