Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) About New Orleans being built below sea level

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 17:17:19 -0500, SeaNymph
wrote:

Well, I don't know the answer, but I lived in Texas in a place that was
largely below sea level. My parents built a house in the highest point
and that was a whopping 17 feet above sea level. It's not that high any
more though. They built lots of dikes, channels and ultimately a
fantastic system to keep the place from flooding during hurricanes.

To get much more than 17 feet above sea level in SW florida you need
to go to Orlando or the land fill.

That is why we build houses on a man made hill or pilings.
They raised the whole development my wife built (a couple hundred
acres) about 4 feet before they even started and then the houses were
on a 5 block stem wall and back filled up to FF
In the early 2000s if you were at a light, you were between 5 dump
trucks and 3 concrete mixers ... and there might be a couple cars
there with you.
We moved a significant part of Hendry County west of US 41 and built
houses on it. That is why I think raising New Orleans a few feet would
be trivial. They have a big river right there and companies that are
in the barge business.