Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick[_9_] Dick[_9_] is offline

Default Twisted pair overhead power lines? Why?

On 4/9/2016 5:41 PM, Micky wrote:
On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 09:55:59 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

The local REAs have been putting in twisted pair lines in the last
few years.
Does that help keep them from going down in ice storms?

You know, I've seen this myself I think, and from the ground, I
thought the cables were different, one for electricity and one to keep
the cable up, like you suggest. But it seems maybe not.

It does keep them from picking up stray signals.

This is not about power lines specifically.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0995.Cs.r.html

Twisted pair balanced lines use two-phase (antiphase) signals to drive
transformers that have excellent common-mode impedance matching between
"legs" but do not provide assymmetric signals. Since these conductors
path from source to destination, any induced dereference is allowing
the inductance rejection of reactive noise. This leads to twisted,
braided co-jacketed cables when used in symmetric balanced signal
re-transmission.