Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On 09/04/2016 21:59, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 April 2016 20:56:48 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 09/04/2016 18:24,
wrote:
On Friday, 8 April 2016 23:24:06 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
For
maximum accelerative performance you need the maximum available
acceleration all the way up the speed range - so you need to run the
engine as close to max power as possible.

You still can't grasp that "Full Throttle" does NOT equate to "Full Power"; it only equates to "Full Power" at Full Power" engine RPMs. Which means that you cannot accelerate AT "Full Power"; you can only accelerate UP TO "Full Power"

But you haven't read what I wrote! I have never once asserted that full
throttle equates to full power under all conditions - it clearly doesn't
- just look at an engine power curve, showing that max power only occurs
at one specific engine speed.

What I actually said was that you needed to run the engine as close to
max power as possible. Naturally *how* close to max power you can keep
it as the car accelerates depends on how many gears you've got, and how
they're spaced.

As I have said before, if you had a continuously variable transmission
rather than a stepped gearbox, you *could* actually hold the engine at
max power and continuously change the ratios to match the road speed.

I've read everything that you written on this thread. All through it you've been using the words "Max Power" when you should have used the words "Full Throttle".
The confusion is your fault.

You are the only one who's confused!

Whenever I've referred to max power I've meant just that - namely
operating the engine at full throttle at the speed at which it produces
its maximum power.

Now go and stick your head up a dead bear's bum.

That's nice and friendly! How about trying to have a civilised discussion?
--
Cheers,
Roger