Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) About New Orleans being built below sea level

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 13:54:34 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:12:36 -0400, wrote:

I agree they should have filled it in. However I dont know how they
would raise those large historic buildings like the cathedral. Homes can
be moved and/or raised, but I dont know about those huge stone/brick
buildings. I guess anything is possible if there is enough money and
powerful enough machinery though....

Most of those historic buildings are built in the areas that did not
flood. If a home is more than 50% damaged FEMA rules say it should be
torn down and rebuilt the required distance above the datum plane

To change the subject a little, about 50 years ago, 1966, I got a
driveaway and went with two other guys to New Orleans for Mardi Gras.
We got there early and had a day to kill before we had to deliver the
car to Houston, and we drove around the area south of the city (the
delta?). This part was flat, with a lot of tall trees, the roads are
paved with broken shells (clams? crabs? oysters?) and the lots in
the residential area were pretty big, and 4 out of 5 houses were built
on 8 or 10 foot stilts (maybe higher, it's been a long time), to
prepare for the flooding.

But one out of about 5 houses was built right on the ground, and they
were modern houses, no older afaict than the ones right next to them
on stilts. Even then this seemed very strange. Now I would stop and
talk to someone, even look for someone, but iirc we didn't see anyone
outside.

For some reason NOLA seems to be exempt from FEMA rules but they still
get paid when it floods. I know in Florida they do a FEMA survey
before you can even drive the stakes for a house and they inspect
again at "tie beam" before they can put the roof or second floor on
the house. The thought is that until you cap it, you can raise the
finished floor and make the walls higher if it is non-conforming. In
my area that is 14' ASL to the finished floor. We are 5 miles from the
gulf