Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default (OT) About New Orleans being built below sea level

On 4/9/2016 10:10 AM, Frank wrote:
On 4/9/2016 9:10 AM, wrote:
I was just watching a program on tv about New Orleans, which showed a
lot about the buildings, culture, and other stuff. They briefly showed
how it's built below sea level (which I knew), but I was never there and
did not know how much was built there and how some of those buildings
are very historic and intricate, such as the cathedral. This left me
with one big question.

How did they ever begin to build this city when it was under water? And
WHY would anyone even consider doing such a thing? I can only presume
that it began when (due to some dry spell), the water level was lower
than usual. (just a guess). It dont make much sense to build levees with
the intention to build a city.

Maybe someone on here lives there or knows more about it.

With fore knowledge of potential problems people should be free to build
anywhere they want but take responsibility for anything that happens to
the property.

From New Orleans to New Jersey the tax payer has been screwed in paying
for it in taxes and increased cost of their own insurance.

There was an attempt to fix the flood insurance program by adjusting
rates to cover the risk and those that built in flood-prone areas got
their congresspeople to limit the increases to far less than they should be.

So yes, the taxpayer is subsidizing those the deliberately build or buy
in flood prone areas.