Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slooooow!

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:43:47 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 04/09/2016 09:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I wonder why the ISPs over there are offering such relatively low upload
speeds compared to here in the UK

If I was a conspiracy guy I would suggest that the content providers
want to slow down pirates. When you understand Comcast (one of the
biggest broadband providers) also owns NBC and Universal studios, it
is not that far out. I am surprised that they are not blocking binary
usenet groups and bit torrent feeds.

IDK about pirates, but various ISP may want to differentiate pricing
for commercial users who are hosting substantial websites from casual
home users. For a typical home user, 5mb up is plenty, while if you
had some heavy usage commercial thing you're trying to run out of your
house, it might not be.

If I wanted to backup a few TB of data to "the Cloud" (and could afford
to do store it there) 5mbps would be impractically slow.

Perce

5 meg up is a lot faster than most US connections.
Most are less than a meg