Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default (OT) About New Orleans being built below sea level

wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:42:10 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 09:10:33 -0400,
wrote:

They should have put all of those out of work people up in coal
country to work loading barges, fill that bowl up well above sea
level and build the place back on high ground. I understand it still
might subside in another couple hundred years but we would save
enough in flood claims by then to make that a very sound idea.,

Ok, Now it makes sense. Thanks for the info.
I suppose all that peat is from silt that came down the river.

Peat is compressed plant matter, not silt (which is rock particles).
When you have a marsh, stuff grows. It dies and more stuff grows. Repeat
that enough and you have peat. Keep it up, add some pressure and heat and
you'll have coal.