Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

In article , tim...
wrote:

But you didn't say how often you do that journey and if it is a one off
hiring a car for the day (or 2) makes sense

Not really. With my own vehicle, I can load up the night before and I can
start when I want. Otherwise, 8 miles to the nearest car hire depot which
means I will set off at least an hour later. At the other end of the
journey I use the car for storage, so I'd have to hang on to it for the
week I was away and have it overnight when I return home since it was
nearly 8pm when I got home. And hiring large estate cars isn't like
getting a Group A one.

Come to think of it, could I get my harp into an electric car anyway?
That's needed at least once week.

Note that I am not making any point about the usefulness or otherwise
about ECs, just picking you up on your incomplete point.

Then.....

I drive 55 miles round trip to work, so I could use an EC for that, and
hire a car to go on holiday with.

That would leave me putting 11,000 per year on the EC.

As per a PP, is that enough use to justify the very high additional
purchase costs? I suspect not.

And I couldn't actually do it anyway as I live on an estate with communal
parking places and no means to install the kit to recharge the battery.

Councils are going to have to take a long look at this (what seems to be
preferred) model of new builds if we are all going to be encouraged to
buy ECs. Cos the two don't fit together

tim

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England